I am obsessed with tacos—hard shell, soft shell, chicken, veggie, whatever— but seafood, especially shrimp tacos , are my favorite. Still hankering for my all time favorite which I had in Austin two weeks ago—the Baja Shrimp at Torchy’s Tacos (hand-battered fried shrimp with slaw, jalapenos, queso fresco, and chipotle sauce—so darn good). Since there is not a Torchy’s in New York City (probably for the better…), I devised this super easy healthier spin on the Baja. Hope you enjoy it on #TacoTuesday, or any other day of the week you like!
Ingredients (makes 4 servings):
(4) Siete Foods tortillas (they are all delicious and #legitgood, but I’m a fan of the almond flour ones in particular)
For the cilantro shrimp:
1 lb deveined, shell-off wild caught shrimp
2 tbsp Kasandrinos olive oil (Use discount code SLICEOFPAI for 10% off)
5 garlic cloves (minced)
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp sea salt
½ tsp cumin
Juice from 1 medium sized lime
6 tbsp cilantro
For the spicy slaw:
3 cups shredded cabbage
½ teaspoon paprika
1 tsp sea salt
6-7 pickled jalapeno slices (diced)
- To prepare the cilantro shrimp:
- Heat the olive oil on medium high heat for about a minute, then throw in garlic.
- Add in shrimp, chili powder, sea salt, and cumin, and stir for a few minutes until shrimp is opaque.
- Stir in lime juice and cilantro and sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- To prepare the spicy slaw
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, mixing until seasonings are evenly distributed.
- Top each tortilla with shrimp, slaw, and avocado and serve.