I am so excited I got the opportunity to develop this Spiced Chicken in Apple Sage Broth recipe for the Union Square Greenmarket as part of my slideshow take over of their Instagram account! As I have explained before on this blog, I credit the Greenmarket with converting this corporate lawyer from a take-out ordering addict into a healthy cooking lover.
This spiced chicken recipe is one of my new favorites because it perfectly encapsulates the spicy and sweet flavors of fall in a light but satiating way, while showing off some of the best of what the Greenmarket has to offer. I developed it in part to celebrate the return of mountains of a wide variety of apples to the Caradonna Farms stall. I also developed it to feature two of my favorite go-to ingredients from two vendors whose products have been the chief inspiration for most of my recipes—S&SO Farm and Stokes Farm. S&SO Farm helped win me over to farm market-focused cooking by showing me how even usually “boring” building block cooking ingredients, such as garlic, onions, potatoes, and greens, are so much more flavorful and varied when sourced locally. I use their rainbow carrots in the recipe because they lend just the right amount of light sweetness and crunch without overpowering the stars of this dish—the apples and the Stokes Farm sage. Stokes Farm’s large, eclectic variety of herbs has made recipe development this past summer such a treat. Their fresh oregano, thyme, sage, and multiple basil and mint varietals constantly pop up on both my blog and my Instagram feed. I incorporated into this recipe one of my most popular flavor combinations–ghee fried sage.
I hope you enjoy this spiced chicken with apple sage broth dish as much as I do and, if you live in NYC, feel motivated to explore the Greenmarket, experiment with all the unique and delicious products, and find your own home cooking groove!
Ingredients (makes 2 chicken breast fillets):
- 2 trimmed, thin chicken breast fillets (purchased from the Quattro Farms stall)
- 2 Fuji apples (cut into thin slices)
- 8 sage leaves (torn into quarters)
- 1½ cup diced carrots (I used rainbow carrots)
- 2 tsp cinnamon (1 tsp to season the chicken + 1 tsp to season the broth)
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 2 tsp salt (1½ tsp to season the chicken + ½ tsp to season the broth)
- 3 tsp Gold Nugget ghee (use code SLICE10 for 10% off)
- 2 tsp coconut oil (1 tsp to sear each chicken breast)
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp fresh ginger (minced)
- 1½ tsp raw honey
- Put 1 tsp cinnamon, cardamom powder, and 1½ tsp salt in a small sealable plastic bag and shake until seasonings are thoroughly combined.
- Rub half the seasonings mixture all over one of the chicken breast fillets, then repeat with the remaining amount with the other fillet.
- Add 2 tsp of coconut oil to a cast iron or stainless steel skillet over medium high heat.
- Once the oil starts smoking a little, place both fillets on the skillet and sear on each side for about 3-4 minutes, only until the seasonings are cooked in and the fillets no longer stick to the skillet. Then set them aside on a plate.
- Add ghee to a large saucepan or a casserole over medium heat.
- Throw in sage and stir it in the ghee until crisp and fragrant.
- Stir in apple slices, coating them in ghee and allowing them to cook for about 2 minutes.
- Pour in chicken broth and stir in 1 tsp cinnamon, ½ tsp salt, ginger, honey, and carrots.
- Place both fillets in the apple sage broth and cover saucepan or casserole. Allow mixture to simmer until chicken is cooked through and carrots are slightly tender. The chicken should take about 5-7 minutes, and the carrots may take 3 or 4 minutes longer. As soon as each fillet is cooked through, remove it from the broth and plate.
- Once the carrots are sufficiently tender, turn off the heat and allow the apple sage broth to cool and thicken a little, then spoon half of it over each fillet.